Invisible Illness

Invisible Illness

Thursday, January 1, 2009

My Homemade Advent Calendar




HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!




My year is starting off with mimimal pain - that ia a very good thing! Today is traditionally the day my family and I put away the holiday stuff. Not really a day I enjoy - I always think the house looks so plain, but then I remember it's only a few weeks until Valentine's Day! Anyway, I decided I would post a recent project today. This is a homemade Advent Christmas Calendar. With my boys getting older, the typical Advent Calendars we would find in the stores were not appropriate. Wanting to continue the tradition, I decided to make my own. I can't take credit for the original idea for this, a friend gave me the basic idea and I went with it from there. There are 24 pockets, each numbered, each with a tag . I used my Cricut for all of the cutting - it would have taken me years otherwise! I had written some little treat on each tag - no chores for that day, or letting them pick dinner for that night (within reason). Each day a different child would pick the tag for that day. On the 24th, Christmas Eve, there was a tag for each child telling them they could open one small present. These presents were hand picked by my husband and myself. We made sure they were games or something that would keep our very excited boys quiet for at least part of the day so cooking and last minute things could get done mcuh easier. This made for a very quiet and happy Christmas Eve in our home :) This whole idea worked out really well for us, the boys actually looked forward to reading the tags. The best part is that the calendar is reuseable if you can find someplace safe to put it for the year. All you would have to do is change the tags.




No comments:

Post a Comment